what are VMware tools and what does VMware tools do?
What are VMware tools?
VMware Tools is a package which contains utilities which enhances the overall performance of the virtual machine’s guest operating system i.e enabling integration between the guest and host systems, improving the graphical performance. It also helps in managing the virtual machine.
Though you can run an operating system without VMware tools, it is not easy to manage the OS. So in order to have more convenience, speed and efficiency VMware tools are vital just as your vehicle needs important accessories.
In order to install VMware tools you must need the guest operating system installed and running in the virtual machine.
What does VMware tools do (benefits of VMware tools)?
When we install the VMware tools, we actually install VMware tools service, VMware device drivers, VMware user process, VMware Tools control panel. Now lets see one by one how these thing helps in achieving more capabilities.
1. VMware Tools service helps in passing message from the host operting system to the guest operating system.
2. VMware Tools service also Synchronizes the time in the guest operating system with the time in the host operating system.
3. VMware Tools service is also responsible for executing commands such as shut down or restart for cleaner operations.
4. On windows guests it is helpful in two ways first it helps in mouse cursor events such as grab and release of the mouse cursor and second is it matches the screen resolution between guest and hosts.
5. VMware Tools service runs scripts which helps in automating the things in guest operating system.
6. VMware device drivers contains various utility drivers such as SVGA display driver, vmxnet networking driver, BusLogic SCSI driver, VMware mouse driver which helps in graphical, networking and connectivity performance.
7. VMware device drivers include a kernel module for handling shared folders, called hgfs.sys on Windows and vmhgfs on Linux and Solaris.
8. VMware Tools control panel is very useful in modifying the settings , connect and disconnect operations, managing virtual disks etc.
9. VMware user process helps in usability operations such as copy and paste text/files between the guest and host, drag and drop files etc.
10 On Linux and Solaris guests, VMware user process two important tasks, 1. In case where SVGA driver is not installed, it helps in mouse cursor events. 2. Fits the resolution between guest and host.
11. VMware tools also helps in connecting external devices such as CD/DVD drives etc.
12. Another important task you can do is shrinking of virtual disk i.e reducing the amount of disk space of VM. This is vrey useful because removing empty unused space will lead to more usable storage on your hosts volume.
So as we have seen lots of benefits of installing VMware tools , VMWare strongly recommends that you install VMware Tools in all of your virtual machines.
I strongly believe that installing VMware tools is very important as it makes guest OS more capable and more efficient because it eliminates lots of issues such as low resolution, restricted movement of the mouse, inability to copy/paste and many more.
How to check your virtual machine has latest VMware tools installed?
You can check it by doing :
Just Connect to your ESX host or vCenter by using vSphere Client.
Select your Virtual machine on left hand side and go to Summary Tab you can see it in right hand side.
In General section you can check status written after VMware tools
OK - Your VM machine is having VMware Tools.
Out of Date - Tools need to upgrade.
Not Installed - VMware tools not installed.
So we have seen what are the VMware tools and what does VMware tools do or benefits of VMware tools.